Tribunj has emerged as a fortified castle on a small islet with narrow streets and compact houses, where people fleeing from the Turks found their shelter.
The old part of town was built on an islet. A stone bridge, connecting the island to the mainland, was built much later, and the new part of the town developed in its vicinity.
On the top of the neighbouring hill fortress Jurjevgrad, was built in 1298. Later on, on its ruins, the cemetery and the church of St. Nicholas were built. Saint Nicholas, the patron of sailors and fishermen, is also the patron of the town Tribunj, widely known as a fishermen village.
During the tourist season the traditional celebrations, Tribunj and Fishermen’s night are organised. Holidays of the Assumption of Mary on August 15th and St. Nicholas' on December 6th are particularly celebrated.