What do you need to charter a bareboat in Croatia?

According to Croatian Maritime Law you should possess a license for operating a pleasure craft, issued by the state authority of the country that you are coming from. The VHF license is required as well. Licenses from almost all European countries are accepted in Croatia. To check if you have the valid license, please download the list of valid licenses issued by Croatian Ministry of Sea.

When chartering, can I leave Croatian territorial waters?

Charter companies generally do not allow charter outside Croatian territorial waters, but if you would still like to visit Italy, Montenegro or even Greece, then you should highlight this special request when sending the charter inquiry, since not every boat has the international permit. The charter company needs to know in advance that you are planning on leaving the country in order to prepare all the necessary documents for you. Please note that international permit is usually charged extra. When crossing the boarder, please remember that you are obliged to report to the Croatian custom office and to the custom office of the country that you are entering. The custom office is usually placed in harbour master’s office and you should choose the one nearest to the boarder.

Are there any special rules for participating in a regatta?

A fast sailboat, a valid license and plenty of sailing experience should be everything you need if the charter company is willing to charter a boat for a regatta. Keep in mind that some extra costs will arise from this arrangement. The double deposit is usually requested for security reasons. In most cases, a regatta fee needs to be paid as well – the regatta fee depends on the charter price and is usually charged as 20-25% amount of the charter fee.

What is the security deposit?

The security deposit is the amount with which you are liable if any damage, as a consequence of mishandling of the boat, occurs while chartering the boat and it usually corresponds to the excess of casco policy in the amount of 0.5 - 1% f the vessel value. All the boats are fully insured with Casco, but the security deposit still has to be left in the starting marina by cash or credit card. The security deposit will be refunded in its full amount unless damage or a defect on the yacht or the equipment is found upon the returning of the yacht. Please note that the amount of the security deposit is the maximum amount with which you can be charged for any damages. Everything that exceeds that amount will be covered from the insurance company.
In case of thefts on the boat (the outboard engine or dinghy are items of boat inventory that are in most cases the object of thefts) please do not forget to report it to the nearest police station.

Is it possible to buy additional insurance in order to cover all potential damages?

The damage waiver (additional insurance of the security deposit that practically covers all the damages) can be offered in most cases. Terms and conditions of the damage waiver depend on the insurance company that insures the boat, but generally speaking it usually costs 7-12% of the deposit amount of the boat that you would like to book.

Do I need a license for diving?

Diving in Adriatic is forbidden without a valid license. You need to be in possession of a valid diver’s card issued by the Croatian Diving Federation. This license can be obtained if you have a valid diver’s brevet that was issued by an international diving association (IDD, UDI, CMAS, MDEA, PADI…).

Do I need a license for fishing?

For legal fishing, a valid fishing license is required as well. The license can be obtained in fishing clubs that are authorized for issuing the licenses to the foreign citizens. For obtaining the license you only need your passport or ID – if you are already a member of a fishing club in your country, take your club card with you because it can decrease the license fee. Please note that fishing is forbidden in national parks – when obtaining the license, you will receive the list of zones that are off limits for fishing, as well as a list of allowed fishing tools.

What is the cost of marinas and harbours?

The mooring fee varies from marina to marina. It also depends on the location, popularity of the marina and the size of the boat. The mooring fee for a catamaran is usually charged double than the mooring fee for a mono-hull of the same size. The average price is around 50-70 EUR for the boat of approx. 43 ft per day. If you have already settled your sailing route, you can check the prices on the web sites of marinas on your route. On the other hand, some harbours and most anchorages are free. More information about marinas in Croatia.

Can I book a place in marina in advance?

It dependes of the marina.  We advise you to contact the marina.

Can I pay in euros in Croatia?

Yes, from 01.01.2023. euro is an official currency in Croatia. 

Where can I get the weather forecast?

The weather forecast can be obtained in any marina reception. Of course, you can always call the base or listen to the weather forecast on the radio and VHF, as they are broadcasted frequently especially during the summer season.

Can I take electrical devices on board?

You can take your electrical devices with you, but it is important to be rational when using them. Croatia uses standard European 2 point plug and the electricity is 220 V. However, yachts are connected to shore power only while they are in marinas and you will be able to use all the electrical devices as you are connected to a shore outlet with an electric. When sailing, only boats equipped with a generator can supply the 220 V current at all times.

Can mobile phone chargers be used on board?

Mobile phone chargers can be used on board with the usual 220 V plug in, while in marina with on shore power connection. Some yachts are equipped with power inverters that provide a 220V current at times that the yacht is not connected to shore power supply. Otherwise, you can use the car phone charger that can be plugged into the 12 V cigarette lighter on board.

Is mobile phone signal available in all sailing areas?

Most of the Croatian coast and sea is covered with mobile phone signal.

What is included in the charter fee?

Charter price is usually formed per boat weekly, no matter how many people will be on board (the maximum number of passengers is always limited depending on the size of the yacht). Therefore, the charter price covers the vessel rental, all navigation and safety equipment, dinghy and bed linens. The obligatory payment that needs to be made at embarkation is transit log or charter pack and the residence tax. Outboard engine, gennaker, spinnaker, snorkelling equipment are optional services that are not included in the charter fee and can be arranged at surcharge.

Are towels included in the charter fee?

In most cases there are not. If they are not included in the charter fee, they usually can be arranged at extra cost. Beach towels are never included in the charter fee and you should bring them with you.

When is the check-in and the check-out?

Embarkation is usually done on Saturdays, in the afternoon, from 5:00 -6:00 pm. The charter provider usually needs a few hours to prepare the boat for the charter, meaning that the boat needs to be cleaned properly from inside and outside and, if necessary, some small repairs might have to be taken care of. However, if the boat is ready earlier, the embarkation will be done earlier. Check-out is in most cases done Saturday morning till 8:00 – 9:00 am. Some charter companies do the check-out on Friday afternoon, while allowing you to stay onboard overnight until your departure on Saturday morning. However, this information should be confirmed when booking the boat.

Is it possible to charter the boat for a short term period?

Charter is always done weekly, from Saturday to Saturday. Exceptions to this rule can be made, but only off season or in a last minute option. Please note that even though you might get an offer for short term charter the price will probably be calculated on a weekly basis.

Do I have to provide food for the skipper?

The provisioning is not included in the price for the skipper’s services meaning that you have to provide food for the skipper whether you are dining at a restaurant or on board. The skippers do not abuse this custom and in most cases these arrangements run very smoothly.

We have small children - can we take them on board and what can we do for their safety?

Small children can be taken on board, but some precautions have to be taken care of. If you are chartering a motor boat, the fly bridge type is more suitable then open. If chartering a sailing boat, a catamaran is our recommendation because they are more spacious and stabile than the mono-hull. As an extra insurance for the youngest sailors, safety net and lifebelts for the children can always be arranged. Please note that these services are charged extra and need to be ordered in advance.